Are your eyes turning red out of no reason? Are people suspecting you to be an alcoholic party animal and all that you’re explaining to them is how sane you are, but this painful experience is taking the life out of you? Then read ahead “Natural Remedies for Red Eyes and Itching” as eyes are one of the most sensitive sense organs in our body and thus everyone is over-protective towards them.
The majority of the people hate the hay fever season as it ends in an eye allergy or infection. Also, many of the people avoid swimming or being in an area where there is a considerable amount of smoke, as it will ultimately provide them with red or bloodshot eyes, which is gross to look at. Thus, in this article, you will learn about the natural remedies for red eyes.
What Is The Leading Cause Of Eye Allergy Or Red Eyes?
The eyes being the most sensitive part of our body gets easily affected by many different particles in our surroundings. Some of the most common particles or elements that cause eye redness or eye allergy are dust, mold, pet dander, and pollen. The hay fever season leaves us with watery eyes that gives an unbarring pain.
Also, this can take place due to a reaction from any cosmetic products, by swimming in chlorinated water, or being in direct contact with a large volume of smoke. In many cases, the red eyes or eye allergy can also happen due to an insect bite. But you can cure all these different symptoms with the natural remedies for red eyes.
How Can You Spot An Eye Allergy?
Some of the various symptoms that you may experience while suffering from an eye allergy are-
- Severe irritation in eyes
- Redness on the inner side of the eye
- Watery or teary eyes
- Swollen eyelids
- Burning sensation in the eye
- Eye pain
- Soreness in the eye
- High sensitivity towards the light
- Stuffy and runny nose
Top 6 Cures And Home Remedies For Red Eyes
1. Slices Of Cucumber
A cucumber cut in slices
- Get a cucumber and ensure that it is chilled
- Then, cut it into slices that are round
- Place these slices over your closed eyes
- Keep the slices on your eyes till they become warm
People should conduct this practice one to two times a day. This remedy works wonders as cucumber consists of different antioxidants and also possess soothing qualities that will help in reducing the irritation in the eye. In case, you are also suffering from any swelling then this practice will help in reducing it.
2. Cold Compress
An ice pack
- Get an ice pack and place it over your eyes
- Please leave the eye pack for one to two minutes and then take it off
- Continue and repeat the same process for two to three times more
You can practice this remedy multiple times a day. It is a simple and effective remedy that help in reducing irritation in the eye and the level of redness too with its anti-inflammatory and cooling qualities.
3. Tea Bags
Used tea bags
- After using the tea bags, it is essential to save them and refrigerate them for approximately 30 minutes
- Place the refrigerated tea bags on your eyelids, ensuring that you close your eyes
- Let them rest on your eyes for 10 to 15 minutes
You can do this whenever you experience an itch in their eyes. The tea leaves possess anti-inflammatory and antioxidant qualities, which offers the eyes instant relief from itching and bags
4. Cold Milk
- A small quantity of cold milk, approximately from one to two tablespoons
- Small cotton balls or even cotton pads will work too
- Immerse the cotton ball into milk completely
- Now, place this soaked cotton ball on your eyes and ensure that you close the eyes
- Let it rest on your eyes for 10 to 15 minutes
- Then remove the balls
You can practice this approach for two to three times a day. Cold milk has the same qualities as the cold compress, and it will help in reducing irritation and swelling in the eyes.
- Aloe Vera juice, ensure that it is unsweetened
- Cotton balls
- Firstly, blend the Aloe Vera juice and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes
- Immerse the cotton balls completely into the juice, and then place them on your eyes
- Let it rest for the next 10 to 15 minutes and then remove it
You can practice this approach multiple times in a day, as Aloe Vera is the most beneficial natural ingredient available to us. This ingredient has soothing properties that are due to the presence of phytonutrients in it.
6. Castor Oil
- Castor Oil, it will be better if it is organic
- Cotton Balls
- Dip the cotton balls into a bowl of castor oil
- Now, strain out all the excess oil present in the balls and place it on closed eyes
- Let it rest for the next 15 minutes
- After that remove the cotton balls and wash your eyes with cold water
People can conduct this practice for one to two times a day. Castor oil also helps cure eye irritation. Also, it is a great ingredient that helps in preventing the infection from spreading further.
Precautions To Be Taken
- If any of the above practices lead to an acceleration in itching or irritation, then it is advisable to stop the practice immediately.
- If the problems persist, then consulting a doctor is necessary.
As many different natural ingredients help in curing such sensitive issues associated with the eyes, a little knowledge goes a long way. You can conduct these simple and easy practices that are helpful in reducing the effect of the symptoms, but a professional consultation is paramount in any case, i.e., if the problem is big or small.
Thus, the natural remedies for red eyes seem to be the best approach to cure an eye infection and allergy.
Dr. Sohil is a health professional who graduated from Rajeev Gandhi University of Health Sciences in Dentistry, who has an undying love for writing and an immense need to empower people with knowledge about home remedies, alternative medicine, fitness, and holistic health care. He is someone who follows what he preaches and who contributes a lot of articles for several medical websites.
In his free time, you can find him watching his favorite movies, going on treks and spending time with Bruno, his dog!